Saturday, November 7, 2015

Week 13: Reconsidering the superhero


Being a huge fan of the Hellboy movies, I decided to read some of the original comics. I never quite thought about the Hellboy character as a true superhero like superman and spiderman and other classic hero. But  I think the thing that has comics like Hellboy and Watchmen so popular is that the characters feel a lot rounder and they actually have flaws. It's very exciting to read about really epic and different characters that are also very relatable.  I like how Hellboy himself has a more relatable he is not Mr. Perfect. Fighting enemies is an annoying inconvenience to him. He gets angry, impulsive, and cranky, and he loses control. His heart is always in the right place, though, and he cares deeply about those around him. I like that Mignola even gave him a soft spot for cats! And that’s one of the many things that makes him relatable.

  


Additionally, the artwork is absolutely beautiful. The style and character designs are so interesting. I think that’s what made me so drawn to these comics and movie in the first place. Its so graphic and stylized, it fits the stories and characters perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment